Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sloppy Joes

We are pretty fancy around here. Like most families, we enjoy gourmet offerings like pizza, spaghetti, tacos ... Try not to be too impressed, especially when my kid uses his sleeve or the tablecloth as a napkin. Winter makes me hungry for rich comfort fare, and my selections on pinterest lately have reflected that. I saw a pin of a veggie-heavy sloppy joe recipe from an Australian blog, and the picture looked so good I decided to make my own. I had some leftover canned spaghetti sauce from a crock pot recipe earlier this week, so I used that instead of tomato paste and water. 

Sloppy Joes

Ingredients:
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 1/2 c. mushrooms, diced
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 packed cup raw spinach, chopped
2 c. prepared spaghetti sauce (I used a spicier one, use any brand you like)
black pepper to taste
1/2 packet sloppy joe seasoning (I just used half since the sauce was already seasoned)
1 T. rooster sauce*
Whole wheat hamburger buns

Heat a large pan on medium until hot, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and carrot. While it cooks, chop the mushrooms. Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and stir. While the mixture cooks, chop the spinach, set aside. When the onions are translucent, add the ground beef and brown, stirring fairly often to break up the burger. Add the spaghetti sauce, spinach, 1/2 the seasoning packet, black pepper, and rooster (sriracha) sauce. Stir another few minutes, until sauce is warm and flavors blend a bit. Spoon onto toasted hamburger buns and serve.

*optional

No comments:

Post a Comment