Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pizzelle (Christmas Cookies!)

We are headed to a cookie party tomorrow; we were instructed to bring sugar cookies to decorate and other cookies to exchange (this is a family-friendly party if you noticed the lack of dancing ladies). PANIC! My patience level is less-than-optimal when it comes to making Christmas cookies. My talent level is even more pathetic. My husband, baffled by my sweaty palms and pacing, suggested we bring chocolate chip cookies. What?! You can't bring something so plain, so common, to a Christmas Cookie Party! My husband, nonplussed, responded that I need not worry: we had white chocolate chips in the pantry. Oh well, in that case.


Anyway, I have no idea why Christmas cookies have to be different than the cookies you eat the rest of the year, but they are. I used Martha's sugar cookie recipe this time. And for the exchange cookies? Well, after thumbing through cookbooks and surfing the internet, I settled on pizzelle. You need a special little appliance for these, a pizzelle maker (similar to a waffle iron, but thinner), but perhaps you could borrow one? They are pretty darn good, very similar to waffle cones, and really, really good with ice cream. Or coffee. Or Nutella. I mashed this recipe together from a couple different ones, but there are tons out there. And if you buy a pizzelle maker, it will probably come with a recipe.

Pizzelle

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. canola oil
3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. amaretto


Whisk the eggs, sugar, and oil together. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Let mixture sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, turn on your pizzelle maker (I like a medium-low setting). Place about 2 T. of batter on the iron and cook. Repeat. And repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment