Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Spicy French Dip

I have another swing shift tonight, and our fridge is (finally) empty of leftovers, so I needed something quick and easy to prepare for separate dinners (my husband and son will be eating at home, while I will be eating at work). All of the Arby's commercials for 2 for $5 French Dip sandwiches got me hungry for, well, French Dip. So I made some up. It probably cost just as much to make it at home, but by fixing them at home I was able to buy natural roast beef and add a salad to make it a bit healthier.

Here's how I made our sammies:

Spicy French Dip

4 bakery rolls
1 pound roast beef
4 slices pepper jack cheese
Spicy prepared horseradish
Butter, if desired

1 packet of au jus mix 

1 bag of mixed greens/pre-washed salad mix

Set the oven to broil.

Prepare the au jus mix per package instructions. While it's cooking, start the rolls.

Split the rolls in half, spread with butter if you like (I skipped this) and then the horseradish. Put 1/4 of the meat on the bottom side of each roll. Add a slice of cheese to each. Pop into the oven (open faced for now) and broil for 1-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges of the rolls begin to brown. Watch them like a hawk, unless you like charcoal sandwiches.

Serve with a cup of au jus and a side salad.

If you are watching calories and/or carbs, you can make these open faced, therefore approximately halving the carbs and dropping the calorie count by a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment