Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cincinnati Skyline Turkey Chili

I offer full disclosure for this recipe: I have never been to Cincinnati, nor have I had Skyline chili before. But being curious, I wanted to try it out. I mashed a few recipes together for this. And another full disclosure, apparently authentic skyline chili has beans as a garnish; mine has the beans all mixed in. So if you have had REAL skyline chili, maybe try mine and tell me how far off I am? I did not add any cocoa powder (apparently a part of the original), which after having this I think would be pretty good in it. I served some rooster sauce on the side (this recipe is not spicy at all) so my husband and I could enjoy a spicy dish while our son could eat his mild.

Cincinnati Skyline Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 green pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 t. chili powder
1 shake of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1 package spaghetti noodles
grated cheddar cheese for garnish

In a big dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. When it's hot, add the pepper and onion. Stir often and cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic, cook another 30 seconds or so. Add the turkey, salt and pepper to taste, and brown. To this add the tomato products, beans, and spices, and stir. Bring to a simmer then bring heat down to low. Cover. Boil a pot of salted water and add the spaghetti, cook per package instructions to al dente. When the noodles are done, strain and add to a big bowl. Pour the chili mix over the noodles, then top with the cheddar (I think I used maybe 3/4 cup, though more would have been even more delightful). Serve.


If you are paying attention to this photo, you will find out that I was out of spaghetti noodles and had to substitute some wider ones. Oops. Always check your pantry contents before heading to the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment