Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Minion Cupcakes

Tomorrow my biggest little man turns 5. What is that cheeseball saying again? The days are long but the years are quick? That's definitely been my experience. 

My kids and I recently just experienced the holidays with family stateside. While there, I'm pretty sure my kids and their cousins watched Despicable Me 2 about seven zillion times. Know how often we hear "bee doh bee doh bee doh" around here? Well, if you have littles who have seen this movie, you probably know what I'm talking about. Add on an uncle who is a firefighter and gave the kids a tour of the fire house and trucks, and, well, fireman minions are super popular. 

A friend made minion cupcakes (and a sweet purple minion cake) for her son's fifth birthday. My son saw them on Facebook and was smitten. We made some of the minions for his birthdayin class tomorrow. He's already selected which funny faces should be allocated to which friend. 

Step one, while the cupcakes are baking, assemble the minions. Our selections are rather slim here, so we used wintergreen Altoids and knock-off Twinkies. I'm not going to lie, I feel a little bad about a class of preschoolers biting into Altoids unsuspectingly tomorrow. I also kind of want to see their faces. Is that terrible of me?

Anywho, I used the black sparkle gel frosting which takes a bit to set up, so definitely get these started first. 


When your cakes are cool, slap some frosting on them. I am not a fan of canned frosting, this is a simple buttercream made with butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, milk, and a little sea salt. Dyed blue to match the minion overalls (plus blue is my son's favorite color). I added a little green because, well, I like blue green better. I used the little caulk gun-like device sold by Pampered Chef. 

 
If you like, add some sprinkles. Do it while the frosting is still freshly applied so they stick. I like sprinkles. They're not really that minion-like, but whatever. 


And last, nestle your minions in the frosting. Again, I would try to get them on before the frosting hardens for the best results. 


These puppies are tall, I'll be using a covered cake container to transport them. 


These are really a cinch to make, and my son has repeatedly told me how excited he is to share these with his friends. Totally worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment