Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps

So I'm still on the springtime slough and I had Mother's Day on the horizon. Eeps, what's a girl to do? I needed to save some calories for cupcakes and champagne, so I found this super yummy recipe on Skinny Taste. It was good. The Buffalo flavor was very mild; if I was making it at home for just my family I think I would add a bit more buffalo sauce. The best thing about it was it was sooooo easy--just toss everything in the crockpot in the morning, no fussing over food on Mother's Day. Yay! I tweaked the recipe just a bit, mostly to accomodate a crowd. I also didn't offer blue cheese or blue cheese dressing--again, priorities! I wanted a cupcake BAD. If you read the recipe, you can see why.

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 celery stalk
1/2 onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
about 2 c. chicken stock/broth
1 c. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (or Buffalo sauce of your choosing)

1 bag baby carrots
4 stalks celery
1 head lettuce

Spray some Pam around your crockpot and add the chicken. Lightly salt and pepper it, then cover with broth. Add the onion, garlic, and celery stalk and cook on high for four hours.

Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred with two forks. Keep about 1 cup of the liquid in the crockpot and return the chicken to it (don't throw the rest away--use it to make an amazing soup later in the week or freeze it for later. I'm doing crock pot chicken and dumplings with mine).

Add the Buffalo sauce and return the lid to the pot, cook an additional 30 minutes.

Run the carrots and celery through the food processor grater (or grate by hand if you prefer, but mind your knuckles). Remove lettuce leaves as best as you can to keep them big. To serve, have guests choose their leaves, top with chicken and with the carrot/celery mix. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment