Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Skinny Chocolate Chip Scones

I've neglecting my poor little blog; I mentioned earlier this month that it's the springitme slough here at my house, and I guess I've just been busy, well, sloughing. Anyway I've been exploring a few new recipe websites and I've really been enjoying Skinny Taste in particular. I was looking for a quick breakfast I could grab for me and the kids, and this fit the bill. It's actually pretty delicious, which is hard to believe considering it's a low-fat, whole grain scone. The only change I made to this recipe was how I put it together. I am lazy and don't enjoy cutting butter into flour for pastries, so I use my food processor. Works great (try it with pie crust!).

Skinny Chocolate Chip Scones

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
3/4 cup chocolate chips  
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 375°. If you are using a stonewear baking sheet like I did, preheat it with the oven.

Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, in the food processor bowl. Dot the butter around the bowl, then pulse just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Remove blade and gently fold in chocolate chips. Add milk mixture, stirring just until moist.

Give the dough a few turns around the bowl with your hands, then press it into a 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick. Use a knife or pizza cutter to pre-slice the dough into 8-12 scones.

Brush with egg white, then sprinkle the sugar on. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment