Monday, February 6, 2012

Gluten Free Brownies


I am personally not on the gluten-free train, as none of my little family are one of the 1 in 133 with celiac disease. My sister, however, has been trying to avoid gluten as of late. She and a friend were over this weekend and, among other awesome things, her friend freed my car from the seven thousand new inches of snow it was mired in. I am very grateful, you have no idea. To say thanks, my son and I wanted to bake a little treat for them. I dug around, and found this recipe for brownies (one of my personal favorite treats). I had to sub a bit in the flour category, but they turned out pretty tasty. I think you could play around quite a bit with this recipe, with different chocolate or flours, and come up with some pretty spectacular results. 

Gluten Free Brownies

Ingredients:
8 T. (1 stick) butter (I used salted butter)
4 oz dark/semi-sweet chocolate (I used most of a Ghirardelli Intense Dark 86% bar and some chocolate chips)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. brown rice flour

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a square dark baking dish.

In a double boiler, whisk the butter (cut into small chunks) and chocolate (also cut into small chunks) until smooth.

In a stand mixer, beat the sugar and eggs until they have a silky consistency. Add the vanilla, stir. Add the rice flour, stir. Finally, add the chocolate/butter mix and stir.

Pour the mix into the prepared pan and bake 22-25 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a sink that has been prepared with cold water and ice (be careful not to get water onto the brownies). Let brownies cool completely in the sink. After several hours (if you can help it), cut brownies and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment